The four Walklett brothers presented their first car, the Ginetta G1, in 1957, and in 1958 they established their own company and started producing the G2 model. In 1989, Ginetta Ltd. was sold to the Sheffield consortium. In 1991, Ivor and Trevers Walkett founded a new company, Dare, and that very year launched a replica of the Ginneta G4 (1961-69) followed by a copy of the G12 (1966-68) in 1992.
In 1998 the G4 cabrio was released which, similarly to the coupe, came with Ford engines.
The completely new, original DZ cabrio and coupe debuted at the 1998 Birmingham Motor Show. These unconventional cars came with a 2.0-liter 16V 130-210 hp Ford engine, and the 2-seat coupe had vertically-opened doors. The TG Sport roadster with a 1.8-liter 150-180 hp unit or a 2.0-liter 165-190-230 hp unit by Ford joined them in 2000.